Let’s talk Trail Races!!! With all of the races I’ve run (well over 60 I’m sure), I have only once run a trail race. It was a relay for the Grizzly Ultra Marathon in 2012. I ran something like 12K of the 50K and was scared of slipping on the rocks, lol. It was the slowest run of that distance for it but it was definitely fun. Recently I was asked by 5 Peaks Trail Running Series if I’d like to GET OFF THE ROAD, run one of their races and blog about it. Umm, yes please! I have lots of running friends who participate in this trail running series and love it, plus I know a few of their Ambassadors (shout out to Lisa for sending 5 Peaks my name). I know, why haven’t I run one of their races yet? Clearly I’m insane. I’m also super excited to join them for the first race of the 2015 series in Cochrane at the AG Society on May 9! It’s actually not too far of a drive from where I live in West Calgary out to Cochrane. There’s also a speciality ice cream shop in Cochrane that’s been around since 1948 that my Grandpa recalls visiting. I may have to make a post-race stop there. Rough life, I know.
Since this will be my first 5 Peaks Trail Race, I’ve been doing some snooping on their website and social media pages. I see that they give out a unique piece of swag at each race. Oh snap, they may have me hooked with that. You may be wondering what 5 Peaks is, and I mean in more detail than “a trail race series.” Here’s a few fun facts:
· 5 Peaks have 5 races each season in each of its 7 regions plus two long distance race events: TrailStoke 55K Ultra and 3 person relay in Revelstoke, BC and Powderface Marathon and Half Marathon in Calgary. Perhaps something for me to work up to ;) Back to the race series… Each race has a Sports course and an Enduro course with the latter being longer. As this is my first 5 Peaks race, first trail race in 2.5 years and I’m struggling with an injury, I chose the 5K Sports course. There are also 1K and 3K Kids races and some races have a half marathon. Perhaps I’ll have to get my cousin’s little one out for the Kids race. I’m sure she’ll be down for ice cream after :)
· You can register for individual races or sign up for all 5 races in your region by purchasing a Season’s Pass. It’s only available until March 31 (a bit late for this year but there’s always next year) and you get a $40 discount!
· The series was founded in 1998 in Vancouver and has since spread across the country and has over 12,000 runners participate every year!
· If you can’t run or don’t want to, you can volunteer! Runners heart volunteers.
· They have AWESOME sponsors, partners, preferred suppliers and Media Partners. BUFF®, MEC, Altra, Clif Bar, CEP, Yur Buds, Wildrose Brewery, Silipint, Impact Magazine, Trail Runner Magazine, TrailRunner.ca and Get Out There Magazine. I see lots of things I love in there and a few others I’d like to learn my love for J
Care to join me? Why wouldn’t you?!? I actually have the opportunity to give out a free entry for the Cochrane race on May 9! Comment below why you want to join me and I’ll enter you into the drawing. I’ll choose a winner on April 19 so make sure you comment before then! If you don’t win, I’ll still hook you up with a $5 discount code so you can run and then spend that $5 on ice cream at MacKay’s after :)